Monday, July 31, 2006

Work, work, work

It's getting a little better for me right now, especially after the hour+ long meeting I had in the office with my bosses. It was my official briefing of my job scope, and it's an interesting job that I have.

Even though it looks like I'm really not managing anyone within my department, apparently I WILL be managing scientists, customers and collaborators, and getting them to talk to each other and to communicate with each other. A lot will hinge on my initiative and communication skills, and the ability to talk between different groups of people with very different motivations.

To add to the complexity, there are some people within the organization who do not see the value of our department; apparently these are the very same people who, when things do not work, are the first to blame us. So when things go well, nobody praises us but when shit flies, we are the first to get the blame.

Sounds ideal already.

I'll also be getting the paperwork and legal stuff down, including all the patents and contracts down pat. The department I'm in seems to be a very entrepreneurial with a bit of a start-up feel, even if the hierarchy is a bit screwy and the pace is a bit slow: we're a combination of the PR, sales, marketing and business development, but in addition to that, we're also the gateway for projects: we get to sieve through patents through a patent search-engine, and decide whether these projects are worth pursuing or not. The more they talked about the job, the more interesting it seems, and more potential that this job has.

After the meeting I spoke with my female boss, and she had worked in GE France before. I mentioned that this job seems to allow you to be as busy as you want to be (and trust me, I DO want my arse worked off right now, with my current frame of mind). She misunderstood me, and said, "well, it might seem easy for now..." and warned me that in a month's time, I won't have to look for something to do: "the job will look for you." In the meantime, I should get to know the organization really well.

I've been up since 2.30am, and still going strong. Yeah!!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home