Saturday, May 20, 2006

Parents

There is too much of an age gap between my parents and myself. Our thinking is almost completely alien to each other, and yet I come from their genes, their roots.

Sometimes I feel so weighed down by the need to take care of them, and it is a dilemma of wants: on one hand they really want to enjoy themselves on this tour, and so my mum excitedly suggests "why don't we do this option? Or join another option?" which is sweet, and I keep telling my mum, "You decide". But then my father starts asking ME about "where do you want to go? What do you want to do? Do you think we should join them and do blah blah, or do yadda yadda?" when in reality I just want to run away with the Missus to the young hip cool (and cheap) areas of Hackescher Markt and Prenzlauer Berg (which I have heard lots about, but have not seen) to drink and hang out with cool hipsters, while window shopping at fabulous stuff all around.

Of course, my thinking this way doesn't stop me from feeling guilty about feeling this way. And sometimes I get overly defensive and lash out at my parents, especially when I am tired. That is wrong of me, for sure, and they probably feel like they have invested a lot of time and energy in an ingrate for a child.

I feel like a complete arse right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home