Sunday, April 23, 2006

To MBA or not to MBA, that is the (Expensive) Question

I am very much at a loss as to whether I want or should pursue an MBA in Singapore post-graduation.

Reasons why I want an MBA:
1) Having a Science degree does not help me wrt employment prospects within Singapore
2) I don't want to do academia
3) I don't want to do chemistry
4) Most jobs seem to require a Master's degree of some sort
5) the jobs and sectors that I am interested in require some sort of background in finance, economics or management
6) doing the "mini-MBA" at Rice (Chem 750 and 751), I really think I am more inclined towards something commercial: this is where I can do my stuff, and where I am effective at leading and getting things done as compared with something science-or-technical
7) Getting skills related to (5)
8) 1 year MBA, broadly recognized
9) International networks for entrepreneurship opportunities
10) Opens up options to future employment

Arguments against getting an MBA
1) Expense: 45,000 euros!
2) Work experience: I will still have a grand total of 0 years of work experience at the end of the year
3) No work experience: chances of getting in are a lot slimmer
4) Have not yet done GMAT: might be wasting time (if GMAT score sucks ass)
5) Is it relevant to renewables??

At this point, I am partial towards giving it a shot: my parents are supporting me as well, even though the application costs are substantial (200 euros for GMAT, same price for the registration costs at INSEAD). I will have to think about it in the days to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home