Sunday, April 23, 2006

Books

My current reading list:
- You can be a stock market genius by Joel Greenblatt
-The Little book that beats the market, same author
- "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
- "HMS Surprise" by Patrick O'Brian

Regarding the last book, I have essentially finished reading the entire Hornblower series by C.S. Forester: the calculations and portrayal of navy officers seems to be accurate, and I was also directed to reading O'Brian, whom I was told was a better portrayer than Forrester was.

The Dale Carenegie book was influenced by a favourable article about it by The Economist. I read it (briefly) almost seven years ago, and have no recollection of it at all: given my recent disasters in dealing with my contacts, I thought I would give it a shot. It is proving to be a very enjoyable read, in large part because the language is modern (even though it dates to 1936) and can be blunt at times, in a humorously candid way.

I still haven't really read the Greenblatt books yet, so can't give much comment on them. One thing to note, though, is that Joel Greenblatt is a successful hedge fund manager who averaged 50% annual returns for more than a decade: considering that Warren Buffett averaged 23% annual returns (albeit over 40 years), you get the idea about what sort of person Greenblatt is. Lousy practitioner, he is not....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home