Thursday, February 02, 2006

Random musing: Closet gays and Mugabe

I found out, quite out of the blue, while in Europe, that this guy whom I almost had a fight with was discovered while fooling around with a pastor's son. He was caught by the pastor. It's funny, because I had always thought this guy was straight... did he watch Brokeback Mountain?

---

On a related note, I just want to state that while I was shopping in Singapore, I chanced upon Robert Mugabe, the leader of Zimbabwe. I'd met a few Zimbabwean students before, and invariably, there's a strong sense of national pride, which is indicative that Mr. Mugabe has done a good job with his education system. But there's also this sense of denial: many Zimbabwean students (who, not coincidentally, all come from the upper-classes of Harare) insist that Zimbabwe is not half as bad as portrayed on the BBC. This, despite an economy that by all reliable economic measures, has an inflation rate of at least 500%.

The man was surprisingly shorter than I expected him to be. He's maybe 5 foot 4 or so. He walked surrounded by a posse of bodyguards, all Zimbabwean and black, and approximately my height (6 ft), and one of them was holding a plastic bag from Guardian Pharmacy. How's that for celebrity endorsement?

One thing that is true in real life, he really does have that appalling Hitlerite moustache. Ironic, because I'm not sure Hitler would have approved of a black African idolizer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home