Thursday, December 01, 2005

Natural Disasters hitting Singapore

How prepared is Singapore for natural disasters?

That is a question that struck me as I watched the footage of New Orleans after Katrina, and a question that hit me when I was preparing for Hurricane Rita here in H-town.

Increasingly, we are at the mercy of an environment that is becoming bizarre, like a mad child gone completely bonkers. Anyone who has lived in H-town for longer than 12 months will agree: this is the warmest fall that we have ever experienced. I don't remember (and nobody does, for that matter) walking around in shorts in December, ever.

Yet, that was what I did today.

Then I came back and read an article in the Oracle about how Europe will become colder in the coming years due to the slowing of Atlantic ocean currents. Apparently, that is happening, and it is coupled with the predicted effects of global warming.

Presumably, global warming will also entail rising sea-levels. And worse storms and volatile weather all around.

Does this mean that Singapore is going to be royall f-cked in the coming years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home