Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Long day

I've spent most of today doing work. Had breakfast as usual. Went to the lab to prepare my substrates, then to my Performance Psychology discussion group where we spoke a bit on evaluation, and how that impacts one's performance (I do it all the time. Too much, actually).

Came back, had lunch and called the Missus. Managed to get her only at around 12.50pm, after which we spoke for half an hour and I then headed to the lab to do my experiments.

The results seem pretty ok. Not fantastic, really, but then again this isn't a fantastic sample either: it's more a sample of desperation, really, something that I've managed to fabricate in a week of scarcity and missing supplies. I did the Raman stuff until around 6pm, then went for dinner. Came back to the room, ate dinner while watching an episode of South Park on my computer, and after dinner I took a half hour nap. Somewhere I lost an hour, probably by reading the news and procrastinating. I remember being a little absorbed in looking at possible business schools to attend: that must have been where that hour went. I also started work on my INNOVATE conference poster: this is going to take a bit more time than I expected, for sure.

Finally I started on the math homework, and it took about an hour or two to finish, by which time it was already 10pm or so. I then completed and submitted my application for an internship with a statutory board, and sent it, which took about an hour or so. These applications are quite fun: filling them in is really exciting because I really hope to get the job or internship, although once it is sent I try not to think of it at all, or to set up any expectations of any sort on my part.

By then it was 12.30am. Now it's 1.30am because I took the time to brush my teeth and wait for my roommate to finish using the bathroom with his girlfriend before showering.

It has occured to me that I have not meditated in more than a month by now. Yet I have never been as stress-free with respect to my workload and academics... in large part it's due to the techniques I learnt from the Dave Allen "Getting Things Done" program, but also because I realize, I really LIKE to get things done. There is a "productivity high", as she says.

Quite crazy: I have a presentation, a poster and a final research report due by next Tuesday. It just hit me how soon that is! Crap.

Off to sleep for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home