Monday, April 10, 2006

CFA and apartments

I came across the Chartered Financial Analyst website today, and am now thinking quite seriously about pursuing it further.

It is a professional qualification that basically allows one to be recognized for being a finance professional, and is quite recognized internationally: I've seen it a number of times in a number of job descriptions at the various places that I have applied to.

Currently I am thinking if I should apply for the December exam: that would give me about 4 months of preparation time, which is about 12 weeks. It would be quite intense... we will see how it goes after I return home.

---

My mum is thinking of investing in a new apartment. She also seems quite willing to let me live there for a while, which would be great. The only downside is that I would be dependent on my mum again, and I really want to be independent and be with my girlfriend (whom my mum doesn't know about).

The new apartment (which we still haven't bought) is sited smack in the middle of downtown Singapore, within walking distance from the financial district, and very near the clubbing areas like Boat Quay , Ministry of Sound, and the evergreen Zouk. It's a perfect place for a young couple, as my cousin said, and wonderful for me to stay with the Missus.

One thing at a time now... one thing at a time...

My parents are a real inspiration, the way they managed their money to be able to afford my sister and I to study abroad. I'm going to manage my money like them in the future, only better!

---

I've yet to do a personal financial inventory of my situation, even though I had told the Missus to do so in the past. I seriously need to sit down and do some proper planning financially for the future.

---

Physically, I ran 25min 44s yesterday for 2.9 miles (~4.8km), and the day before I did weights and was able to do more dips than before. I'm getting stronger, for sure. And I'm keeping a log now to track everything I am doing: what I'm eating, how much I'm sleeping, etc.

What is surprising is how much fatty foods I am actually consuming, as opposed to what I think I am consuming. I'm going to keep this log, and maybe extend it to other things like keeping track of my moods and attention.

---

It's surprising. I haven't meditated in forever. But ever since I've started using the Dave Allen "Getting Things Done" algorithm for task processing, I've been able to get more things done and also be more focused than I used to.

I'm not saying I no longer procrastinate: that will be a lie. But I do get more done now than I used to, and my mind is able to focus on a task and not get distracted within five minutes. It'll be interesting for me to sit and meditate after such a long absence, but I wonder if getting things done is also a training for the mind as well: it certainly ensures that I won't get distracted by the thought of "shit I still have to do so many things!" which used to disturb my meditation a lot.

Speaking of disturbances, I should go sleep now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home