Thursday, January 12, 2006

The Thought of the Ring

I was set on getting a ring. I don't know why: she's not the first girlfriend I have, but the first one whom I bought something as symbolic and serious as this.

Being the indecisive advice-seeker that I am, I asked a number of friends what they thought of the idea.

ALL five of my best friends were aghast: "Brother, better not rush into it", "I think marriage should not be on the cards so soon", "Get your degree first ya?", "Siao!!" (Crazy!! in Hokkien), and, best of all, "How come you are getting married and you didn't even tell me??"

It took a while to clarify. No, not getting married lah. Relac lah. If I want to get married, of course will tell you mah. Just want to show her my... commitment. That I really care for her. That this long distance thing is worth it.

The hyenas stopped howling, and started rubbing shoulders with me instead... "Oi, let me know how it goes, I'm thinking of the same thing", "What's your budget, bro?", and the best idiotic statement, "Get her a Pepsi-cola ring lah. Cheap, light, durable, will not rust..."

-slap forehead-

I asked one of my best female friends what she thought.
"Relationship rings? Overrated. I'm sick and tired of hearing all my girl friends freaking out about losing their relationship rings... I mean, come on! Why don't you get her a necklace or a pendant instead? Closer to the heart."

Hmm, I thought. Good idea, really. Afterall, she has a beautiful neck, and she is the only woman around who actually has a neck beautiful enough to carry off a necklace or something similar (her neck bears no resemblance to that of a giraffe or of a toad, and is so perfectly proportioned...).

But at the same time, it doesn't have the same symbolic significance as a ring. I really want to give her something that shows I'm serious, not just a pretty piece of jewellery around her neck... that I will buy when I have more money. And living with her.

So back to the ring, it was.

On my last day in Singapore, a desperate message to my best buddy...

Text Message: "Where 2 find cheap relationship rings in Sing?"

Reply: "B___ & P____, and maybe _____"

I went to B&P, bought a ring TWO rings with an inscription of love, a different one on each, and guesstimated her size.

And I had to give it to her, right when she was talking about how she felt some pressure from me to settle down. I could tell, she was desperately trying to get used to the idea when I gave the ring...

Worse still, the damned thing barely fits her fingers. And, for some reason, it no longer really fits mine.

But the end result is that she's now wearing it on her neck. So it's closer to her heart, I guess, as am I.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home